Tuesday 8 February 2011

Running...

After a winter of limited 'snowy' climbing and no rock touching since November, i came back into climbing with a brief high with a quick 'send' of the Dolphin Belly Slap, V6? at Almscliffe. I say a brief high as i then got shut down on Pebble Wall (V5) and Sloper Patrol (V5) and some other V5 traverse. I did however manage to tick 'Almost Pleasant' (V5) at Ilkley just the other day and this had some meaning to me as i remember one of my first LUUMC trips, in the rain, sheltering under the Calf but i didnt get the tick.

Anyway, this was all over a period of about 3 weeks, so not a lot of climbing, so i've given up and started running. I'm not a runner, i never will be. I have neither the ability, joints or will to be any good at it, but once going ( which can take some serious effort!) i generally quite enjoy it.

I've tried running in Leeds before and hated it, but now i've found the Canal and it's rubbish filled quietness. The odd strange looking dog walker or Chav riding a bike isn't all that bad...

Anyhow, i'm hoping to build up to 4 runs a week which i think is enough for someone with a poorly tracking patella. With a weekly aim at 30km a week with anymore being a bonus.
Currently doing 8 - 12km runs, twice a week which is enough not to put me off before it gets addictive.

Here's to potential positive effects to my climbing - ie Shift some weight and gain some aerobic fitness... But i guess i'm going to have to start climbing again really - especially as i'm already booked up to hit Chorro in Easter...

No comments: